From Rotterdam, The Netherlands we are bringing you the FREEDOM 10K.
Liberation Day in the Netherlands (Bevrijdingsdag) is on the 5th of May
and is the day where the Dutch celebrate their liberation by the allies from the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands (1945). The Netherlands was occupied by Nazi Germany on 10th May 1940 (4 days after, Rotterdam was bombed). The Netherlands was not liberated until 5 years after this, mostly by the Canadian forces. Right after the war, it was decided that the 5th of May
will be when Liberation Day takes place.
Liberation Day in the Netherlands is the day after National Remembrance Day, which is held on the 4th May
every year. This way, the Netherlands has two days of both remembering and celebration. In the last couple of years ‘Bevrijdingsdag’ has also really been about celebrating freedom in general. Many people, especially the younger generation, don’t know what it’s like not to live in a free society. Therefore, Liberation Day is the day to remember that we were not always free, and that we should celebrate how wonderful it is to live in that kind of society. We must not take it for granted!
During these COVID-19 plagued times this is more true than ever.
Join us to celebrate Dutch Liberation Day on May 5th 2020
(Bevrijdingsdag 5 mei 2020
) by participating in this virtual race, The Freedom 10K
and run a 10K between May 5th and May 19th 2020
No podium prizes but we will draw a winner out of the participants who will win a sponsor gift!
Brought to you by these local running crews in Rotterdam, The Netherlands:
HOW DOES IT WORK?
We've made virtual racing simple and fun. Here's how:
- Sign Up For Just $5
- The FREEDOM 10K virtual race will be placed on your calendar for Tuesday, May 5th. Using the Final Surge app or web platform, you can move this planned race to any day between Tuesday, May 5th and Tuesday, May 19th.
- Run, jog or walk indoors on a treadmill or outdoors, it's up to you. We just want you to be active!
- Sync your results to the planned race using one of the many platforms we connect with: Connected Apps & Devices. If you ran on a treadmill or don't have GPS device data, you can always enter your results manually using our app by typing your completed time and distance into the race.
- After you have raced, view where you rank on our live leaderboard here: View Results. These results will be updated on a daily basis.
- On Wednesday, May 20th, official results will be released, and we'll announce the winners of the final drawing.
RUN WITH FRIENDS
This event is open to any and all runners. Feel free to invite your training partners, friends or family members to participate.